Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tongue-tied.

Today at work, while describing some of my travels and the reasons for them to a couple of co-workers, they laughingly responded with things like, "I need to be a Christian! [so I can travel too, was the implication]" and "You're such a do-gooder!" Maybe it was the way they said it, maybe it was a little unexpected out on the playground, surrounded by kids. But I found myself a bit tongue-tied as to how to respond. I kind of shrugged and said something like, "Well, I like to serve and help people out, it brings me joy to do it." Not a bad response, necessarily. But after the fact I felt a little bit like I'd missed an opportunity to share more about why I do what I do--because I've been blessed by God and all that he's done for me, both in taking care of me for this life and for the life to come, and I want to show my love for him by loving on others. Or something along those lines. Easy for the words to come after the fact; harder to spit them out at the time. Ugh.

Tomorrow's a new day....with new opportunities.....new chances to share about the hope that is in me...........

"Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth words may be given me so that I may fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel...pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should." [Eph. 6:19-20]

1 comment:

  1. Kari,
    I loved this. I've recently been asked to stand at the front of the congregation after church (keep in mind of church has about 5,000 members) and be available to pray with whoever comes my way. I jumped on the opportunity, but with Saturday being just around the corner, I'm finding myself slightly anxious. I'm only 19... what words do I have to offer? Thank you for Eph. 6! I will definitely be praying this over you tonight and will spend the next few days meditating on it myself!

    ReplyDelete